Design & Creative

What sort of insurance do you need if you work in creative media? Whether you're a designer, writer, photographer, or producer, comprehensive cover is a must. Insurance is your first line of defence against difficult clients and the sort of unexpected situations that could make it difficult for you to do your job. Mistakes can happen, no matter how experienced you are. You could spill your coffee on someone else's laptop, or your client could insist that your final design doesn't match the initial brief. It's possible that you could unintentionally infringe on someone else's copyright, or be accused of plagiarism. Insurance cover delivers total peace of mind, for you and your clients, that everything will be taken care of should anything ever go wrong.

What do I need?

Have any of your clients ever been unhappy with your work? It happens to all media consultants eventually, no matter what field you're working in or how long you've been at it. Unhappy clients might say that your output doesn't match their specification, or they might simply dislike your work without being able to properly explain why. You're incredibly busy, and you simply haven't got the time or the resources to go back to the drawing board. As a result, your clients refuse to pay your invoice, or they could even take legal action against you. It can happen! This is why all media freelancers or small businesses should consider professional indemnity insurance. It can cover your legal costs and any financial compensation your clients may be due, and can also cover you for lost fees if your clients ever refuse to pay your invoices.

But this isn't the only insurance that can be relevant to you. Being self-employed or freelancing has its perks, but it also has its downsides. You don't get statutory sick pay, and you're not automatically protected by employer's liability insurance. So you could really be in trouble if an accident, an injury or a period of long-term illness ever makes it harder for you to work. Personal accident insurance can provide an essential safety net for freelance media workers. Finally, you'll really be stuck if your laptop, smartphone, or tablet ever get lost, stolen or damaged, which is why we advise all designers to protect their gadgets and devices with office contents insurance.

What does Tapoly cover?

Our professional indemnity for designers and creative media consultants includes:

  • Access to your own specialist claim handler
  • No admin fees for changes made during the policy period
  • Access to our free 24/7 helpline
  • Irrecoverable fees cover – just in case your clients decide to refuse an outstanding invoice
  • Cover for your legal defence, including lawyers and court expenses, which is payable in addition to the policy limit
  • Computer virus cover of up to £500,000, in case you accidentally pass on a virus or trojan to your clients
  • Data protection cover, including cover for legal costs incurred while defending a criminal prosecution under the Data Protection Act